Go to the My Computer icon on your
desktop and click. Next click on the Dial-up Networking icon
and select Properties
In the properties window, you will find several settings that can
impact the length of time and sucess rate for your Internet connections.
These settings also affect the manner in which you transfer data
over the Internet. As background, all of your traffic through i3webis
done with TCP/IP or (Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol
or just IP, for short). Any other protocol, most likely, is wasted
Microsoft settings now begin by activating many possible protocols,
including ones that are not required for your i3web session. This
slows everything down. Under Server Types:
1. The Dialup Server Type is PPP for 95, 98, NT etc.
2. Log on to network should not be checked.
For your protocol settings:
1. Make sure that TCP/IP is the only protocol that
should be checked. No not check NetBEUI or IPX/SPX.
Finally, it is possible that you may need to set the TCP/IP
settings for this particular connection. Make sure the following
- 1. Server Assigned IP addresses
- 2. Server Assigned Name Server Addresses
- 3. IP Header Compression
- 4. Default Gateway
At this point, remember to use the OK button to exit these
screens, otherwise, if you were to just "X out," you will not save
IV. Check Network
Go to the Start Button that is usually located in the lower
left hand corner of your desktop screen. Select the Settings
option and then the Control Panel option. Next, the Control
Panel has icons for most of the major settings for the computer.
Find the Network icon and click it. This opens up the Network
setting control panel.
In the configurations box, select TCP/IP -> Dialup Adapter
or, if this doesn't exist, select TCP/IP by clicking once with the
left mouse button. Next, below this white box and to the right is
a Properties button which you should click.
In the PROPERTIES window, you have several grey folder-like tabs.
We will confim the following key settings:
- IP Address should be set to Obtain an IP address automatically.
(It will be assigned when you connect to i3web)
- WINS Configurationshould be set to Disable WINS resolution.
- Gateway should be left blank. (It will also be assigned
when you connect to i3web)
- DNS Configuration should be set to Disable DNS.
- Advanced should have a gray check or a live black check
for Set this protocol to be the default protocol.
These settings should improve your connection speed and improve
delays in the transfer rate of your Internet activity.